10/10/08

The Anti-Conditioner

I have proudly worn natural hair for the better part 12 years (dang, I'm getting old). There have been a few lapses in my hair sanity when I went and relaxed it. The inevitable result was always me looking as I were swung around my feet. I don't do hair. At. All. The good Lord blessed me with boys for a reason. He saw no benefit in me scarring some poor little girl for life by sending her out looking straight jacked!

I have learned a thing or two along away.

Satin sheets are not a substitute for a good, tie on satin bonnet.

A light blond afro may in fact be the new hotness, the almost instantaneous black new growth isn't. Neither is the baldness that results form trying to maintain your new found hotness.

And the most important hair fact...

Conditioner is your friend!

I am always on the look out for a good, cheap conditioner to use for my co-washes (conditioner washes). In the past I have used V05, Cream of Nature, Suave (the naturals line), Aussie (this is one of my faves) and countless others. I heard good things about Suave Professionals Humectant Conditioner and decided to give it a try.



I grabbed it on sale for $2.50. It is regularly priced around $3.50 so it isn't a budget breaker in the least bit. It feel slick to the touch like most conditioners and has a light, unoffensive (also unimpressive) scent. I wet my hair, worked the conditioner through and rinsed it out using cool water. The results-

EPIC FRIGGIN FAIL!

My hair felt like it was stripped! This was something new for me. I had never used a conditioner that made my hair drier. I use a clarifying shampoo once every two months and it feels hella better than it did when using SPHC. I even tried doctoring it by adding some of my own juices and berries (Ha! Remember "Coming to America"?) and it did nothing. This is by far the worst conditioner I have used. I normally really like Suave products too. I guess they all can't be winners.

B.B.

 
Template by Divalicious Designs